Hello, 2022! It’s a new year, and the time is right for new greener habits. Looking for a New Year’s Resolution? We’ve got some ideas below, along with highlights from our latest Sustainability Report.
- Reduce your greenhouse gas emissions and work towards carbon neutrality. SAN recently reduced our direct greenhouse gas emissions by 21 percent in part through energy efficiency operations. We are also one of a few North American airports that are carbon neutral! This year, use less electricity and fuel to reduce your emissions and balance out the environmental impact of your travel by using The Good Traveler program.
- Serve as a water steward. With fewer operations over the last two years, we’ve seen a significant decrease in the amount of potable water used at SAN. We also creatively capture stormwater and reuse it for things like irrigation and HVAC systems. At home, take shorter showers and try collecting water in a bucket while the water warms up to later water your plants.
- Reduce your energy use and use renewable sources. Each year we try to use less energy per person to reduce our environmental impact and our energy costs. In 2020, 86 percent of our electricity came from renewable sources, and we are now using 100 percent renewable electricity at SAN. In your homes, implement some tricks from Energy Upgrade California and get ready for San Diego Community Power—a clean energy source coming to your home within the next year!
- Use clean transportation. Did you know that 70 percent of the Airport Authority’s fleet is powered by alternative fuels? You can hop on the clean transportation train (literally if you’re using the trolley!) by opting for public transit, electric vehicles, or carpooling. We’ve been excited about our recent addition of the San Diego Flyer, an all-electric, zero-emission, and FREE shuttle that takes you from the Old Town Transit Center to either Terminal. Check it out!
- Embrace Zero Waste practices. Approximately 85 percent of the “waste” produced at SAN gets recycled or reused. At home, there are hundreds of ways that you can reduce the amount of waste you produce and recycle what material you no longer need. Check out San Diego’s own Zero Waste Family for inspiration.
- Protect Biodiversity. At the Airport, we protect the endangered California Least Tern nesting habitat located on the Southeast side of our runway. We had six nests in 2020. At home, have you considered letting your garden/weeds grow? Even allowing a small space of your yard to flourish with natural wildflowers and weeds helps your local pollinators find food. Also consider planting bee, butterfly, or hummingbird-friendly plants and watch nature come to you!