Hours of Operation
San Diego International Airport is open twenty-four hours a day; however, departures only occur without penalty between 6:30 a.m. and 11:30 p.m. With no departures overnight, the gate area is closed each night around 2am and all guests must exit to the pre-security side of the airport. Guests may re-populate the gate areas once the security checkpoints are opened (around 4:15am.) Each airline has its own operating hours, but typically, airlines with morning flights will have ticket counters staffed by 4:30 a.m. for check-in.
For specific check-in information, please contact the airline you are flying directly. To contact the Airport or Airport Authority, please call 619.400.2404.
Travelers who require special assistance should contact airlines ahead of time to request assistance in reaching airline-boarding gates. San Diego International Airport and the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) have implemented increased security for all airline passengers. These heightened security measures may result in longer waiting times to pass through security checkpoints.
Baggage Check and Claim
Baggage claim carousels are centrally located in each terminal. For assistance, contact the appropriate baggage claim office or airline ticket counter.
Eateries & Shops
The airport offers a variety of locally-owned and nationally known eateries and an exciting mix of shopping choices, including San Diego-based shops and national brand favorites. For information about operating hours and offerings, please visit our SHOP DINE & RELAX pages.
The three (3) new “Lactation Rooms” are each located post-security:
- Terminal 1 West Rotunda located on the second level, across from the elevator.
- Terminal 1 East Rotunda (Southwest Airlines Gates 3-10) located on the ground level, past the security checkpoint.
- Terminal 2 West located on the second level, near Gates 34-35
Our new rooms include a hand washing station, electrical outlets, comfortable seating, artwork, a children’s seat and soft lighting.
Service Animal Relief Area Locations
San Diego International Airport is proud to offer seven (7) Service Animal Relief Areas (SARA) at the following pre-security locations:
- Curbside at Terminal 1, passenger loading Zone A
- Curbside along the breezeway between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 at passenger loading Zone J
- Eastern end of the Terminal 2 Ground Transportation Island
- Western end of the Terminal 2 Ground Transportation Island
- Pedestrian entrance to Terminal 2 West (McCain) parking lot, across from passenger loading zone W
For passengers who have already passed thru the Terminal 1 security checkpoint, please check with TSA personnel for procedures to exit and re-enter should your service animal need to use a SARA located pre-security.
- We also have an indoor SARA post-security in Terminal 2, near gate 47.