Happy National Bike Month! Biking is a viable, fun, and healthy transportation choice that gets you out of a car and provides an opportunity to be active. This month, challenge yourself to hop on a bike and get GOing.
If you are biking to SAN, there is a shared-use path for bicyclists and pedestrians, separated from vehicular traffic, that connects the airport to Little Italy and downtown San Diego to the east, and Liberty Station and Point Loma to the west. The scenic path runs between the San Diego Bay waterfront and North Harbor Drive and passes through Spanish Landing Park.
The San Diego Regional Bike Map can help you plan a convenient and scenic bicycle route to or from the airport. In addition, Google Maps features the ability to suggest bicycle routes to and from the airport. If coming from a bit farther, the Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) buses and trolleys and North County Transit District (NCTD) Coaster, Sprinter, and busses are equipped to accommodate commuters with bicycles.
Once you are at the airport, here are some tips to make your experience a safe one:
- Cyclists should exercise caution traveling along the airport roadways in front of the terminals.
- Bicycles should be walked when on airport sidewalks.
- Bicycle lockers have been installed by the San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) at SAN.
- The lockers are FREE to use for bike commuters residing in San Diego County, but there is a $25 refundable key deposit, paid to SANDAG’s iCommute program, required to use them. To use these lockers, and other SANDAG bicycle lockers in the San Diego region, sign up here. Lockers are available on a first-come, first-served basis. The bicycle lockers are located at the end of the Terminal 1 pedestrian bridge, along the fence line (4 bikes) and south of the pet relief area at Terminal 2 West, adjacent to the northeast corner of the NTC parking lot.
- Bicycle racks at the airport are located:
- Under the Terminal 2 West pedestrian bridge
- Under the Terminal 2 East pedestrian bridge
- Under the Terminal 1 Pedestrian Bridge
- North-East corner of the NTC parking lot
- Under West Wing Building awning
- North-East corner of the SDCRAA administration building parking lot
- Southside of the taxi hold lot building
- Southside of the Rental Car Center
To celebrate National Bike Month, SANDAG’s iCommute program is encouraging you to “Bike Anywhere” from May 16 through May 22. You can pledge to Go by Bike that week and you’ll receive a free t-shirt and self-guided activity ideas. Throughout the week, you can log your bike trips for a chance to win a new bike, gift cards, backpacks, and more. For more information about Bike Anywhere Week, including safety tips and the San Diego Regional Bike Map, visit the iCommute website, call 511 and say “iCommute,” or email iCommute@sandag.org. Want to get more involved in the biking community? Check out San Diego County Bike Coalition or Bike SD.
Let’s Get GOing!