SAN DIEGO – November 24, 2014 – As many as 60,000 passengers a day are expected to pass through San Diego International Airport (SAN) during the Thanksgiving holiday travel period. To help air travelers navigate quickly and safely to their Thanksgiving getaway or vacation destination, the Airport Authority has some important information for customers using SAN this holiday season.
Arrive at least 1½ hours before departure for domestic flights and 2 ½ hours for international flights. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) website provides helpful tips on how to reduce wait times at security checkpoints, such as how to pack and what items are permitted and prohibited. These tips are available at www.tsa.gov.
The new dual-level roadway, completed as part of The Green Build expansion, eases curb-front congestion by separating arriving and departing passengers in Terminal 2. With 32 airline counters and 20 easy-to-use curbside kiosks, departing passengers can check-in, print their boarding pass and check luggage before even entering the terminal.
· Discounted Parking. Travelers can save this holiday season with $2 off parking per day at the airport’s short-term Economy Lot, located at the corner of Washington Street and Pacific Highway. The printable coupon is available online at www.san.org/parking.
· Short- and Long-Term Parking. The parking options available at SAN include color-coded short- and long-term lots for ease of use:
Green is for the Long-Term Lot (formerly SAN Park Harbor Drive), located east of the airport
Blue is for the Economy Lot (formerly SAN Park Pacific Hwy), located north of the airfield
Free shuttle buses from these short- and long-term lots to all airport terminals are also color-coded and sport scenes of popular San Diego County destinations.
· Valet Parking. The valet service was created to aid travelers in situations where time, convenience and parking availability are a concern. When coming to the airport, drive into the designated valet areas in front of Terminal 1 or Terminal 2. When coming back to San Diego, pick up luggage first on the way to the valet cashier. The cost is $36 per 24-hour period. Take the receipt to curbside valet and your vehicle will be brought to you, or text (619) 888-6675 with your information once you’ve landed.
· Cell Phone Lot. Located east of the Commuter Terminal on Harbor Drive, motorists can wait in this parking lot for up to 60 minutes free of charge. Once cell phone contact is made between the driver and incoming passenger, the motorist can drive over to the terminal for quick, convenient traveler pick-up.
· Disabled Parking. Parking for travelers with disabilities is available at all airport lots. For additional information call (619) 291-2087.
Just in time for the holidays, San Diego International Airport has partnered with Traveler’s Aid Society of San Diego and Therapy Dogs, Inc. to launch Ready, Pet, Go, a new therapy dog program aimed at enhancing the overall customer experience. As members of the airport’s Volunteer Airport Ambassadors (VAAs) program, the new four-legged team members will provide stress relief and comfort to passengers who would like to pet or interact with them. The Ready, Pet, Go program pairs up a therapy dog and handler to roam post-security in the terminals, visiting passengers awaiting flights and providing comfort, as well as airport information.
TSA Pre✓™ at San Diego International Airport. TSA Pre ✓™ offers expedited screening for eligible participants. TSA Pre✓™ lanes are available for passengers traveling through SAN on the following airlines:
- Terminal 1 – Alaska Airlines, Southwest
- Terminal 2 – Air Canada, Jet Blue, Hawaiian, American, Delta, United, Virgin America, Sun Country Airlines and US Airways
Active duty military are also eligible for TSA Pre ✓™. For more information on TSA Pre ✓™, please visit the TSA website.
Shops and Restaurants
The Airport Authority has increased its shopping and dining options from 55 to 85 as part of its Concession Development Program. Opening in phases, the program will be completed in February 2015. New offerings include favorite local, national and international concepts such as Phil’s BBQ, Stone Brewing Co., Garden by Tender Greens, Einstein Bros. Bagels, Jack in the Box and many more. Before arriving at the airport, please take look at the list of current operational shopping and dining options by visiting www.san.org/Shop-Dine-Relax.
With Thanksgiving kicking off the holiday performing arts season, passengers can enjoy the joyous sounds of live music as they travel through the terminals at San Diego International Airport.
On Wednesday, November 26 passengers will be treated to performances by:
· Holly Jolly Hand Bell Quartet, vocal and hand chime performance from 6 – 8 a.m. in Terminal 2 West
· Rockin’ Cranberries, vocal performance from 6 – 8 a.m. in Terminal 1
· Full Measure Carolers, vocal performance from 8 – 10 a.m. in Terminal 1