For more than 80 years, San Diego International Airport (SAN) has served the air
transportation needs of the San Diego County region. To maximize the airport’s efficiency
and make the most of the airport’s 661-acre footprint, SAN is moving forward with
a series of improvements on the north side of the airport.
Planned projects include:
- Receiving and Distribution Center – a 21,000 square-foot central delivery location
for food, beverage, retail and other goods. When complete, the center will help
reduce traffic on surrounding roadways by centralizing all truck deliveries. Airport
vehicles will then be used to deliver materials via on-airport roadways. This is
expected to reduce truck trips on Harbor Drive by 50–75 per day.
- Rental Car Center – a facility to house all rental car
companies in a single building. This will dramatically reduce the number of shuttle
buses circulating around the airport.
- Fixed-Base Operator (FBO) Building – in order to comply with Federal Aviation
Administration regulations and maximize airfield space, the Airport Authority will
demolish its existing FBO and construct a bigger, more environmentally friendly
facility. The FBO provides hangars, fueling and other services for general aviation
- Roadway Improvements – several projects will improve traffic and access to the north side of the airport. These include expansion of the Washington Street entrance roadway at Pacific Highway; widening of Sassafras Street north of Pacific Highway; and a new terminal link roadway for rental car and parking shuttle buses, which will remove traffic from Laurel Street and North Harbor Drive.
- Palm Street Park – as part of the airport's north side construction program, an observation park is being planned at the corner of Palm Street and Admiral Boland Way. For a detailed description and information about an upcoming Public Art Visioning Workshop, click here.
To learn more about north side development, view the project fact sheet and FAQ, as well as the Receiving and Distribution Center fact sheet.
Small Business Profiles
SAN places a great emphasis on its commitment to providing business opportunities to local and small businesses, including women- and minority-owned and disabled veteran businesses. To date, $155 million has been awarded to local businesses and $60 million to small businesses for work on the Rental Car Center. Check out the inspiring stories some local and small businesses have shared of their experience working with the airport.
If you would like to sign up for email alerts about ongoing construction activity on the north side of San Diego International Airport, email us email@example.com or call our construction hotline at (619) 400-2288. You can also become a fan of SAN on Facebook and stay connected viaTwitter, Flickr and YouTube.