Construction has begun on a new Federal Inspection Station (FIS) to house Customs and Border Protection and other international passenger arrival services in Terminal 2 West. The new facility will ultimately replace the current FIS in Terminal 2 East, which will remain open during construction.
Watch this page for construction updates and other important news regarding the new FIS!
Current Passenger Impacts
- Gates 48 and 50 in Terminal 2 West are closed for the duration of construction (summer 2018).
- Baggage carousel 3 in Terminal 2 West is scheduled to open on 10/9/17.
- Baggage carousel 7 and 8 in Terminal 2 West will be closed as of 10/16/17.
If you are traveling, please be sure to call ahead for up-to-date gate information.
Changes at a Glance
- If you are arriving on a domestic flight that comes into Terminal 2 West, you may notice new temporary walls put up to shield construction from passengers. You may also be directed to a different baggage carousel than the one you are used to.
- The construction has necessitated the temporary closure of the little-used terminal roadway at the west end of Terminal 2. This will not affect normal exiting of the airport property to Harbor Drive and Interstate 5. But if you do use this road, refer to the map above for an alternate route.
San Diego International Airport (SAN) welcomes more than 300,000 international arriving passengers annually. That number will continue to grow as more overseas nonstop flights are added.
Construction of a new, 130,000 square-foot FIS will not only help accommodate increased demand, it will improve the processing experience for passengers with reduced wait times.
Features of the new facility include a second baggage claim and more queuing space in the lower level Customs hall, as well the newest processing technologies introduced by Customs and Border Protection.
For updates on the FIS and other airport news, watch this page and follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, YouTube, and Instagram. You can also sign up for SAN eNews, an electronic newsletter by emailing email@example.com.