The San Diego County Regional Airport Authority was created on January 1, 2003, as an independent agency to manage the day-to-day operations of San Diego International Airport and address the region’s long-term air transportation needs.
The legislation that created the Airport Authority mandates three main responsibilities:
- Operate San Diego International Airport
- Plan for the future air transportation needs of the region
- Serve as the region’s Airport Land Use Commission – and ensure the adoption of land use plans that protect public health and safety surrounding all 16 of the county’s airports.
The Airport Authority is governed by an appointed board of nine members who represent all areas of San Diego County and three ex-officio members. Three members serve as the Executive Committee.
Public meetings of the full Airport Authority Board take place at 9:00 a.m. on the third Thursday of every month on the Third Floor of the Airport Authority Administrative Offices (formerly the Commuter Terminal) at the Airport. Several standing committees of the Board have been formed to better address key policy areas and develop items for consideration by the full Board. They also hold regular public meetings and include:
- Executive Committee
- Executive Personnel and Compensation Committee
- Finance Committee
- Audit Committee
- Capital Improvement Program Oversight Committee
Airport Authority President/CEO Thella F. Bowens is responsible for management oversight of the Authority, the Authority’s annual budget and a staff of approximately 370 aviation professionals.
The Airport Authority’s operating revenues for Fiscal Year 2013 were $177.5 million. In addition, there were $41 million in net non-operating revenues, and $16.1 million in capital grant contributions in Fiscal Year 2013. Operating expenses for the same period totaled $126.8 million. The Airport Authority is funded through user fees, not local taxes.
The Airport Authority also serves as San Diego County's Airport Land Use Commission, responsible for protecting public health and safety surrounding airports. It accomplishes this by ensuring the orderly development of airports and the adoption of land use measures that minimize the public's exposure to excessive noise and safety hazards around airports.
We will plan for and provide air transportation services to the region with safe, effective facilities that exceed our customer expectations. We are committed to operating San Diego's air transportation gateways in a manner that promotes the region's prosperity and protects its quality of life.
Mastering the Art of Airports
- We recognize the needs of our customers come first
- We pursue excellence in all our business processes
- We conduct our affairs with honesty and integrity
- We provide a safe, secure, quality-oriented, highly efficient environment
- We foster an informed, productive, diverse, enthusiastic work force
- We believe that continuous learning and personal involvement are job responsibilities
- We believe that everyone counts and we count on everyone
- Operate our airport in a safe, secure, environmentally sound, effective, and efficient manner
- Achieve the highest level of internal and external customer satisfaction
- Be a trusted and highly responsive regional agency
- Ensure the highest level of employee commitment and performance
- Enhance the financial position of the Airport Authority